Employment Opportunity: Web & Graphic Design Manager
The Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto Canada is building a one-of-a-kind inclusive cultural catalyst. More than just a new physical space, it will be a participatory vehicle where artists and audiences can step into a wider world of contemporary art, and be part of a global creative moment defined by new ideas and new forms. The expanded Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto Canada will realize its vision through bold and innovative programming including three lead exhibitions per year and parallel programs including, print and web publications and integrated educational opportunities such as workshops, talks, screenings and much more.
The evolution of the Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto Canada is made possible through a unique alliance with Castlepoint Greybrook Sterling Inc., public sector funders, private donors, members, sponsors and a network of cross-sectoral partners.
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Closing on: May 24, 2017
Interviews Begin: Week of May 29, 2017
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Web & Graphic Design Manager will be an integral part of the MOCA team, acting as the central source for all design and website needs for the organization.
The Web & Graphic Design Manager will support the Marketing and Communications, Development and Programming departments by creating striking and compelling imagery and designs to help bolster MOCA’s reputation and awareness as an innovative, design-oriented organization. Specifically, this individual will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the visual identity of MOCA throughout all touch points both online and off.
Staff size: Outside contractors may be hired as needed within the budget determined by the Director of Marketing & Communications.
Web Design & Maintenance
- Wireframe and design graphics for MOCA’s website and potential micro-sites, creating interfaces that meet experience standards by utilizing strong usability principals.
- Continually optimize the site based on learnings from analytics and SEO data.
- Strategize and manage the on-site visitor experience and access to programming information via mobile technology (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.).
- Maintain upkeep and technological development of the museum’s digital platforms, including the web content management system and third-party servers.
- Identify, manage and verify technical requirements for project deliverables
- Conceptualize, design and maintain a range of print and digital materials that support museum initiatives and increase audience engagement including, but not limited to, advertisements, brochures, reports, in-gallery vinyls, e-newsletters and MOCA’s website.
- Maintain a creative workflow process: Meet with departments to plan the scope and schedule for individual projects; communicate deadlines, schedules, and production information, produce design options for review and work iteratively from concept to completion with project stakeholders.
- Utilize creative design solutions and imaginative problem solving skills to meet project needs, applying an acute sense of typography while demonstrating stylistic breadth.
- Design materials that contribute to a cohesive and vibrant brand identity, with an ability to carry concepts through a series of related projects.
- Schedule, bid, produce and deliver projects on time and within budget while maintaining museum quality standards.
- Review proofs, supervise pre-press production, and attend press checks when necessary and communicate production issues to Director of Marketing & Communications and internal departments, as needed.
- Independently manage all aspects of design projects, from implementation to delivery, once design, production, and budget parameters have been established with supervisor and relevant departments.
- Manage relationships with outside contractors, artists, design and web agencies, and other marketing-related vendors, as needed.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Post-secondary education including certifications in graphic arts, design, web design and development or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years professional experience in web design and development, UX design, graphic arts, production, print media and publications, digital design, branding, direct mail, packaging, event and outdoor design.
- Diverse portfolio with strong examples of both creative print and web design.
- Advanced skills in art direction, creative design, illustration, photography and iconography.
- Expert knowledge and experience working with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) with proficiency in both OS X and Windows environments.
- Superb understanding of type, colour and layout.
- Thorough understanding of print and digital production, competitive bidding, project management, and signage production.
- Strong command of digital and traditional media platforms, with an understanding of user interface, user experience and information architecture, user testing, and implementation and integration with back-end systems as well as familiarity with responsive design.
- Experience in meeting AODA/WCAG standards.
- Familiarity with basic video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro is an asset.
- Understanding of animation for digital advertisements is a plus.
- Experience with a non-profit arts organization is a significant asset.
Understanding of and passion for the museum’s vision, mission, values and a dedication to advancing the organization to achieve its long-term objectives. An appreciation of contemporary art is highly desirable.
- A creative and innovative thinker; resourceful in developing and executing exciting and inspired visual ideas and concepts with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and various stakeholders. A problem solver; strong in vision, yet collaborative in approach.
- A polished and professional style with personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and sound judgment.
- Ability to take direction and edits and carry creative vision from concept to completion.
- A high energy, positive and solution-oriented professional with a hands-on management style when working with outside contractors/freelancers.
Please submit applications to email@example.com.
Applications must include a resume, a link to an online portfolio, and a cover letter including salary expectations.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
The Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto Canada advocates equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and is committed to diversity in the workplace.