A Grand Opening and Many Thanks
The museum is now open!
A huge thank you goes out to all those who attended the Grand Opening Weekend and supported us along our journey. After three years of anticipation and preparation from our Queen Street West location, we opened our Sterling Road doors on September 22.
The celebration continued over the weekend where over 11,000 people explored the museum for free.
To officiate our Grand Opening, we were joined by :
- Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, Elizabeth Dowdeswell
- Mayor, John Tory
- MP for Davenport, Julie Dzerowicz
- MPP for Davenport, Marit Stiles
- Councillor for Davenport, Ana Bailao
- Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, The Honourable Ahmed Hussen
- 11 artist pop-up talks
- Hiba Abdallah
- Andreas Angelidakis
- Matilda Aslizadeh
- Adrian Blackwell
- Justin Langlois
- Ange Loft
- Rajni Perera
- Jeremy Shaw
- Nep Sidhu
- A warm welcome to the neighbourhood was provided by The Drake Commissary and Henderson’s Brewery which included extended hours
- Music by DJs Korea Town Acid and Raf Reza
The momentum continues and we’ll be bringing the same kind of excitement into programming the year ahead. Stay tuned for more groundbreaking art, starting with our inaugural programs with over 20 Canadian and international artists. Please join us during our regular museum hours and experience all our programs on view.
MOCA Grand Opening Weekend Gallery
BELIEVE, Installation View, 2018. Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto Canada. Photo by Tom Sandler Photography.